AltaBird Freeride Devo Team AGES 11-13
Coaches: Tommy Flitton and Rowan Harden
Scope: This Freeride Devo team provides an opportunity for our young athletes on the team who have gained the necessary fundamental skills while on our Snowbird Freeride Devo Team, to receive access to train at Alta and Snowbird and ski with a group of other athletes that have strong skills and goals. Athletes on this team have goals to compete in Freeride Big Mountain competitions, to excel their current abilities as a big mountain skier, and to want to explore both Alta and Snowbird through hiking and skiing more challenging lines. This team will have more focus on off-pieced skills, competition, and air awareness. AltaBird Freeride Devos will develop a love for skiing while learning to ski all mountain terrain and snow conditions.
Training Schedule: Training for the AltaBird Devo Team starts the first Saturday in December 7th- March 28th. Your athlete can train one or two weekend days. This training is from 9-3pm each day.
Athletes have the option of attending dryland training in the fall September 10th- November 14th every Tuesday and Thursday from 4-6pm for an additional fee.
Coaching focus will include:
- Proper body movement, balance & edge control
- Fundamental progression of skills
- How to ski safe in all types of terrain from moguls, trees, groomers and steeps
- How to ski all types of terrain confidently.
- Having so much FUN!
Competition and Events: The AltaBird Freeride Devo athletes have the opportunity to compete in Snowbird Competitions, as well as other competitions in the surrounding area. This competition schedule will be made through a meeting with the athlete, parents and coach to ensure that the athlete is attending the correct competitions for their goals and skill level.
The minimum skill level is to be able to ski confidently and fluidly on "black" off- trail terrain at both Alta and Snowbird.
- Skiing confidently and with endurance.
- Ski top to bottom, off-piste and groomed
- Skiing with the parallel skis
- Understand safety rules and mountain etiquette.
All new athletesmust take take part in the try out day to determine if this program is the best fit for your athlete. Tryouts will take place on November 23rdand 24th. Athletes that don’t posses the proper skill level may be moved to a different group and/or program within SBSEF. If a different group is unavailable, we will do our best to help find you another program that will be a fit.
- US Ski and Snowboard General License
- IFSA competitors license
Athletes are required to have the following:
- Appropriately fitting skis, boots, and poles
- We recommend two or three pair of skis: an all mountain skis, a used pair of race skis for early season training on hard snow, and a medium fat pair for powder days
- Water resistant outerwear
- Warm base layers and mid-layers
- Helmet & goggles
- Extra goggle lenses for low- light and high visibility conditions
- Avalanche Gear (beacon, probe, shovel) is recommended
- Protective gear:
- spine protection/back protector
- compression base layers / knee support
Local opportunities to purchase new & used gear in the Fall:
- Sports Den Manufacture’s Gear Night (new gear) - on this night you can receive discounts on new gear, and speak with reps from the different companies. The Sports Den is kind enough to always work with our team and give a discount for gear purchased after this night as well.
- SBSEF Ski Swap (new and used gear)- this event is up at Snowbird in the fall, and proceeds benefit the team.
- Second Tracks (used gear)
1 Day Weekend
2 Days Weekend
- Alta-Snowbird season pass(SBSEF members receive a discount on these passes, and can be purchased in the beginning of November)
- Competition pricing:When travelling to competitions, athletes must pay a prorated $60 per day for coaching, as well as the competition entrance fee, lift tickets, hotel and food costs.
- Work Deposit:$100.00. See www.sbsef.comfor more info.
Scholarships: Need based scholarships available. See the Financial Assistance on www.sbsef.comfor more info. Deadline for submission is September 20th.